Saturday 14 May 2011

Basic Outline of Game Reviews

For my reviews, I will break them down into five categories, as you would normally expect. The first is Graphics, which nowadays can be considered one of the most important factors when it comes to games, which is quite unfortunate (being a fan of the ASCII original dungeon-crawler Rogue and the revolutionary FPS Quake.) However this cannot be helped, and I do often find myself becoming more immersed inside a game’s story when the graphics are outstanding.

The second category is Sound. This can also be an important factor when it comes to playing a game. It adds the ability to be fully immersed within a game and feel as if you are really there. A perfect example of this would be Battlefield: Bad Company 2, it uses amazingly life-like and realistic sounds to help you feel immersed in the world of B:BC2.

The third Category is Gameplay. What would be the point in making a game with supreme sounds, and supreme graphics and just putting in some shoddy half-assed controls with glitch-ridden gameplay? No point, that’s what. Although, this can be a very subjective area and I don't expect everyone to agree with me when it comes to this.

The fourth category is Storyline. While this is not really a strong point for most games nowadays I still feel this is a huge part of any experience, as when I was a wee nipper, single player was all we had. Although some games have been lacking in the storyline front, others make up for it with a storyline that has everything you could need to write a fine, bestselling novel, such as Oblivion.

The last category will be Lasting Appeal. While most single-player only games i.e. Dead Space have relatively short life-times, multiplayer’s where it’s at nowadays. I don’t think there is a human number to represent the amount of minutes I’ve spent playing the Call of Duty franchises’ online multiplayer – so this category is just all about are you getting enough for your money

Then i'll attempt to weigh it all in and give it a final score out of 100.

There you have it folks, the structure of my reviews. I will be posting up a review of the Gears of War 3 beta very soon.

/Cam

0 comments:

Post a Comment